Tuesday, 28 March 2017

  Counter-terror barriers are set to be installed at Windsor Castle following last week’s horrific terror attack in Westminster.
 Last Wednesday terrorist Khalid Masood killed four people and injured at least 50 others when he mowed down pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before stabbing a police officer in front of the Houses of Parliament.
Thames Valley Police said although there is nothing to indicate a specific threat to Windsor, the attack highlights a need for extra security measures at the Queen’s residence.
Specialist barriers will be put in place ahead of the Guard Change on Wednesday, police said, as security measures were stepped up at the castle from Monday evening.
 Assistant Chief Constable Dave Hardcastle, head of operations for Thames Valley Police, said: “The Force believes that it is proportionate and necessary to put in place extra security measures to further protect and support the public and the Guard Change.
"This is consistent with security deployments in London.
“Preventative measures such as these have been put in place across the UK over the past 10 years at various events.
“The national threat level remains severe, which it has been since 2014, and I would urge the public to be alert to the threat of terror attacks but not alarmed, and to remain vigilant.”
 The new barriers will support existing road closures and will be used to secure the Guard Change route during the operation.
They will only be used to support these closures and will remain open at other times.
  Ch Insp Sarah Grahame, deputy LPA commander for Windsor and Maidenhead, said: “I hope that people in Windsor will understand the reasons that these barriers are being introduced, and will see why they are necessary.”
Cllr Simon Dudley, leader of the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead, added: “We support the good work of Thames Valley Police and the Metropolitan Police in their work to make Windsor a safer place for those who live, work and visit the town.
“These measures will increase security at the changing of the guard ceremony and the council is offering its help where necessary to ensure that this valued and popular tradition can continue.”

Post a Comment: